Some years ago, i wrote a very simple and stupid pcengine disassembler in order to check if the rom i produced with wla-dx were correct. Well, time fly and two weeks ago i dig it from the grave. The user can now specify which part of the pcengine rom will be disassembled (code section) and which one are pure data. For this i’m using a csv file. The whole thing is discribed in the README file i quickly wrote tonight
I started coding it under Linux. As i was in a hurry and lazy, i decided to mmap the rom file. But unfortunately, mmap is not supported/implemented by mingw32. So i had to use my mighty google skills (well koders ones in this case). And the same thing happened with the CSV file parser. I’m using strndup and… i had to recode it :/
Enought ranting! I put everything THERE . The directory contains the complete source code, makefiles for both windows and linux, windows binary and the dev C++ project. As an example, i disassembled Momotaro Desentsu Turbo . I started to document the reset interrupt.
I decided to render a larger model. So i took the happy buddah model from stanford repository. It contains 543652 points and 1087716 triangles. Rendering a 256×256 image took approximatively 2 hours. I really need surface partitioning.
The white dots on the picture represent the ray where a floating point error occured. As the mesh has really small triangles and low coordinates points, i had to replace the zero divider test using boundaries by the standard not equal to zero test. I really hate this floating point issues…
I quickly wrote some basic polygonal mesh raytracer in order to test some space partitioning algorithm like KD-trees or BIH. I’m actually using the maneki neko from this repository. It’s not really big compared to stanford bunny or happy buddha. As i don’t need any lighting, i decided to use point normal as color. Here’s the result :
It took 25 minutes to render this image on my amd64 3500+. The model contains 62385 points and 124677 triangles. Not that much… But it’s brute force raytracing for the moment.
I also discovered that XYZ-RGB is offering free texture materials. Maybe i should use them for the displacement map.
On the 8bit side, the pcengine tracker is going well. The instrument routines may be finished next week. Next step is note/pattern handling.